Re: Flame Linus to a crisp!

From: Shachar Shemesh (lkml@shemesh.biz)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 12:46:35 EST

Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Wouldn't "control ... installation" include the keys too?
>
> IANAL, but I am on the board of an NPO that advocates Free and Open
> Source Software, and that NPO has a lawyer (who is VERY familiar with
> the GPL). Would it make sense to ask him? After all, that merely means
> what one lawyer would say.

Ok, so I did. The gist of it - a very quick analysis said "no, it does
not cover the keys". You can now return to your usual debate.

More in details, the keys seem like a late addition to the already
compiled kernel, have a standalone existance, and are not even code, and
can therefor not be considered "deriviative work".

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant