Interpretation of termios flags on a serial driver

From: Henrique Gobbi (henrique2.gobbi@cyclades.com)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 09:51:08 EST

Hi,

If this is not the right forum to discuss this matter, excuse me. Please
point me to the right place.

I'm having some problems understanding three flags on the termios
struct: PARENB, INPCK, IGNPAR. After reading the termios manual a couple
of times I'm still not able to understand the different purposes of
these flags.

What I understood:

1 - PARENB: if this flag is set the serial chip must generate parity
(odd or even depending on the flag PARODD). If this flag is not set, use
parity none.

2 - IGNPAR: two cases here:
            2.1 - PARENB is set: if IGNPAR is set the driver should ignore all
parity and framing errors and send the problematic bytes to tty flip
buffer as normal data. If this flag is not set the driver must send the
problematic data to the tty as problematic data.

        2.2 - PARENB is not set: disregard IGNPAR

What I don't understand:

3 - Did I really understand the items 1 and 2 ?

4 - INPCK flag: What's the purpose of this flag. What's the diference in
relation to IGNPAR;

5 - If the TTY knows the data status (PARITY, FRAMING, OVERRUN, NORMAL),
why the driver has to deal with the flag IGNPAR. Shouldn't the TTY being
doing it ?

Thanks in advance
Henrique