Re: w83781d i2c driver updated for 2.5.66 (without sysfs support)

From: Mark Studebaker (mds@paradyne.com)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 17:26:54 EST

If you rename the files and/or split multivalue files into separate
single value files, or change the format of the contents,
and continue these changes across the 30 or so "chip" drivers of ours,
you will completely blow up our libsensors library, and userspace programs.

If all the patches do is move all the files unchanged from
/proc/sys/dev/sensors/... to /sysfs/... then that change is much much easier
to incorporate in our programs.

While not all drivers conform perfectly to the our standard (link below)
(lm75 temp_os and temp_hyst don't), this is the naming and
data format standard we attempt to follow. This has evolved
over the years. If the chip drivers in the kernel
diverge from this, or even worse diverge from each other haphazardly,
we're going to end up with a mess and no usable userspace tools
for a long long time.

Please consider keeping the file names and contents unchanged.

thanks
mds

lm_sensors /proc naming standars for sensors chip drivers:

http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/lm_sensors2/doc/developers/proc