Re: Can not open '/dev/sg0' - attach failed.

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana (felipe_alfaro@linuxmail.org)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 13:47:34 EST

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 18:34, Norbert Wolff wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:00:22 +0530
> "Subramanian, M (MED)" <M.Subramanian@geind.ge.com> wrote:
>
> > cdrecord error
> > ==============
> >
> > scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
> > Cannot open '/dev/sg0'
> >
> > lsmod
> >
> > Module Size Used by
> > sg 26688 0
> > ide-scsi 8352 0
> > ide-cd 26848 0
> > cdrom 27232 0 [ide-cd]
>
> High !
>
> Your cdrom-Module seems to use the ide-cd-driver, so cdrecord's lib which needs
> SCSI-emulation for IDE-Drives (I think your CD-RW is an IDE-one ?) cannot work.
>
> You need to load the sr-Driver (Driver for SCSI-CDRoms) instead of the
> ide-cd-driver.

Maybe he should boot the kernel with "hdx=ide-scsi" appended to force
using IDE-SCSI emulation on his CD-RW drive.

Another possibility is reconfiguring cdrecord to use "ATAPI=" or
"/dev/hdx" device naming conventions, thus using ATAPI instead of
IDE-SCSI. I have been doing this as IDE-SCSI in 2.5 is not stable
enough.