Re: System time warping around real time problem - please help

From: george anzinger (george@mvista.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 21:28:37 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 22:55, Fionn Behrens wrote:
>
>>>This all sounds very much like the TSCs are drifting WRT each other.
>>>Is it possible that you have some power management code (or hardware)
>>>that is slowing one cpu and not the other?
>>
>>Well, I still don't really know what TSCs actually are (or what TSC
>>stands for).

Stands for Time Stamp Counter. It is a special cpu register that
basically counts cpu cycles. Some times (incorrectly me thinks) it is
affected by power management code which slows the cpu by changing the
cpu frequency.

>>The only suspect in that case would be the amd76x_pm.o kernel module
>>which I am admittedly using. It saves about 90Watts of power when the
>>machine is idle...
>

> If you are using amd76x_pm boot with "notsc", ditto for that matter
> on dual athlons with APM or ACPI in some cases. In fact I wish people
> would stop using the tsc for clock timing altogether. It simply doesn't
> work on a lot of modern systems

I agree, however, what is really needed is not available in x86
machines, i.e. a cpu register that has a fixed and stable count rate.
  An I/O register is second best because of the long time it takes to
read it.

--
George Anzinger   george@mvista.com
High-res-timers:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/high-res-timers/