Re: [patch] Generic way to control display of debug printk's

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 16:38:29 EST

Martin Hicks wrote:

> Okay, perhaps I didn't clearly identify the problem last time. The
> problem is the number of messages that go into the log_buf. On
> large systems we can certainly just crank up the size of log_buf, but I
> don't see this as a terribly elegant solution.
>
> I think there should be some facility, mirroring the way we can set a
> threshold for console messages, to decide if a message is logged at all.
> For example, setting console_loglevel and log_loglevel (the new
> threshold) to 7 results in no KERN_DEBUG messages begin printed to the
> console or the log.
>
> I'm testing a patch now, but are there any comments on the basic idea?
> Is it preferrable to just crank up the size of log_buf?

This is probably a good idea. It might also be worthwhile to implement
per-subsystem filtering similar to what syslog has; the network
subsystem is particular is notoriously noisy when it comes to telling me
that someone else sent bad packets. If you're a public Internet server,
that happens *all the time*...

        -hpa