Re: 2.5.65: *huge* interactivity problems

From: CaT (cat@zip.com.au)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 18:45:56 EST

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 05:19:36PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
> > I'm having awfull interactivity problems. While lingvistic application
> > (slm from nltools.sf.net) is running, machine is unusable. I still can
> > read text in most, but can't login, can't run links, can't... For
> > minutes.
> >
> > slm does a lot of computation over ~250MB dataset, but during stall
> > disk was not active.
>
> Oh Pavel, this is more a whinge than a bug report. You know better ;)

If he's seeing what I'm seeing then I can put my own answers to this. I
get freezups, lost keystrokes and eventual shutdown of the laptop. I can
reproduce it prettymuch at will be it a compilation of a piece of s/w,
the kernel, mozilla loading pages or whatnot.

> - How much memory does the machine have?

256

> - UP/SMP/preempt?

UP with and without preempt presents the same issues.

> - What do vmstat and top say?

My box never survived long enough for me to be able to look.

> - Did it happen in 2.5.64? 2.5.63? 2.4.20?

Never had this under 2.4, Not sure wchi version now as I went to 2.5
with this laptop as soon as the freeze came and I could back it up.

As for 2.5 I can definately say the sluggishness and freezes happen with
2.5.63+ (about to compile .66 and try it) but .63 does not turn the
laptop off for me and .64 takes a wee bit more punishment before dieing
on me.

> - Does it get better if you renice stuff?

>From memory, I niced (to lvl 19) a compile of mplayer that was killing
my laptop and it survived.

> - What steps should others take to reproduce it?

Not too sure. For me it's 'when compiling don't even think of looking at
an input device the wrong way or BOOM'.

--
"Other countries of course, bear the same risk. But there's no doubt his
hatred is mainly directed at us. After all this is the guy who tried to