Re: Ptrace hole / Linux 2.2.25

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 23 2003 - 18:05:29 EST

On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 21:46, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Anyway, the current way security issues are handled will last a year,
> maybe two. I'm not sure in which direction it will evolve, either far
> more anarchistic (unlikely), or completely regulated (very likely, I
> smell a lot of money down that road).

Some people would certainly like it that way, and there is certainly
pressure from some governments to try and hide and censor security
information.

The slight problem (in fact nonproblem is that most security hole
finders will simply not deal with such people). Vendor-sec gets a
measurable number of reports that specifically forbid their
redistribution to cert for example