make modules_install fail: depmod *** Unresolved symbols (official 2.4.20)

From: Miguel Quirós (mquiros@ugr.es)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 05:59:50 EST

                        Granada, 14-3-2002

Hello, I downloaded kernel 2.4.20 and compiled it sucessfully a month
ago without any aparent problem. Yesterday I tried to compile it again
in the same computer just changing a couple of small things in the
configuration (agpart and the network card changed from "module" to
"yes").

make dep, make bzImage and make modules went apparently well (expect for
a few apparently non-important warnings with bzImage of the type
Warning: indirect call without '*' when compiling pci-pc and apm).

But when I try make modules_install, I've got a lot of error messages.
For each module I've got one line like:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/microcode.o

followed by a number of lines of the type

depmod: misc_deregister
depmod: __generic_copy_from_use
depmod: .....

(this kind of error messages appear for every built module)

Modules have been however copied to /lib/modules/2.4.20. The kernel
built in this way boot without problems but I can see the following
message in /var/log/messages among the usual normal startup messages:

Incorrect build binary which accesses errno, h_errno or _res directly.
Need to be fixed.

Saving config, doing make mrproper, restoring .config, making dep and
recompiling does not change anything.

Between the sucess a month ago and the errors yesterday, the only
important thing I can remember having been done in the computer is to
upgrade XFree86 which in turn, to satisfy dependences, made me to update
other many things like glibc, glibc-devel and binutils. Perhaps I have
had to remove some other package, I do not remember. Actual versions
are:
glibc 2.3.1-51 and binutils 2.13.90.0.18-6, upgraded from RawHide RPM
packages.

Please, do "Cc" to my address if you reply to the list (I am not list
member). Thanks for any help.

Miguel Quirós

--
Miguel Quirós Olozábal