RE: OOPS in do_try_to_free_pages with VERY large software RAID array

From: Martin J. Bligh (mbligh@aracnet.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 14:39:30 EST

> Thanks for the help Martin. It looks like that was the problem. The
> kernel mdstat statistics must have been overwriting some other kernel
> memory and giving me my panics. With the help of Kevin's 2.5 patch I
> patched the Red Hat 2.4.18-26 md code to use seq_file and now my big
> RAID arrays are syncing and I haven't had a panic yet :D
>
> Thanks again to everyone for the help. I'll submit the patch to the
> linux-raid list as md-seq_file-2.4.18-26.7.x.patch if anyone's
> interested.

Cool. If I get bored at some point, I might try to make a debug option
to put some minefield trap after /proc functions to catch them doing
this. Or we change the interface ;-)

I got burnt by the same thing for being the first twit to try booting
a 16 CPU ia32 machine ... /proc/cpuinfo went a bit wild.

M.