Re: PCI driver module unload race?

From: Roman Zippel (zippel@linux-m68k.org)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 20:04:20 EST

Hi,

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Greg KH wrote:

> > It seems that the semaphore in bus_add_device() makes this unnecessary.
>
> Hm, yes. I think you are correct.
>
> So this patch is not needed, and the struct module * can be ripped out
> of struct usb_driver too :)

I think it's not easy. I haven't studied the code completely yet, but e.g.
when you attach a device to a driver you also have to get a reference to
the driver.
I think there are more interesting races, e.g. when you create a sysfs
symlink, that symlink might also have references to a module.

bye, Roman