Re: scheduler starvation running irman with 2.5.64bk2

From: Mike Galbraith (efault@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 23:42:04 EST

At 09:50 PM 3/8/2003 -0500, rwhron@earthlink.net wrote:
>irman triggers some odd behavior with 2.5.64bk2 on uniprocessor
>K6/2 475. "ps aux" hasn't returned for a couple hours, though
>irman appears to be doing it's thing. I haven't tried irman on smp.

OK, can you do the following to determine whether we're both seeing the
_same_ problem?

1.) build the attached rtnice utility (don't remember who wrote/posted this)
2.) login on vt1 and set the shell SCHED_RR via rtnice -n 1 -p <pid_of_sh>
-d RR
3.) login on vt2 and renice that shell to -10
4.) login on another vt as a normal user, and start irman
5.) try login/out on another vt, or ps or _whatever_ (doesn't matter)
until box is starving
6.) on vt2, try to do ps (it should hang despite -10 priority)
7.) on vt1, try to do ps (it should work just fine)

cc to Ingo since stock .64 doesn't show this problem, and .64-combo and
.64-B2 do.

         -Mike