Runaway cron task on 2.5.63/4 bk?

From: Kevin Brosius (cobra@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 02:30:45 EST

Second attempt to send this after not seeing it post after about a day.
Anyone else have kernel posting problems?

I started seeing the cron task runaway, using 100% CPU continuously on a
single CPU with
2.5.63+bk and now with 2.5.64 (about two weeks now.) No other
apps/tasks seem to be affected, that I've noticed. It seems to take
upwards of 8 hours running the kernel for this to occur.

top shows:

  PID USER PRI NI SIZE RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM TIME COMMAND
  594 root 25 0 1428 620 1364 R 49.9 0.1 195:23 cron

(This is a dual processor Athlon, so CPU0 is at 100% at the moment.)
This is repeatable. Leaving the box running overnight, or all day, and
the cron process is running 100% again after several hours. This does
not occur in prior 2.5 kernels, or in 2.4.19.

Any idea what's causing this? What additional info on the process would
be helpful? kernel .config file at
http://kevb.net/files/linux2564_config

--
Kevin