Re: Make ipconfig.c work as a loadable module.

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 20:21:13 EST

"Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com> said:

[...]

> As the kernel changes there are some things that really need to remain.
> You need to be able to boot from a "floppy" disk.

No...

> Yes, now-days it's
> probably not a real floppy, but a BIOS module that emulates a floppy.
> A lot of people don't realilize that this is how a CD/ROM is booted!

Red Hat 8.0 boots directly from the ISO filesystem, IIUC. Plus "floppy
booting" mostly means using FreeDOS + syslinux, or even an ext2 floppy with
lilo or grub. The "floppy booting" discussed here is doing:

   dd if=bzImage of=/dev/fd0

and booting that floppy directly. I really don't remember when I did that
last time, it must have been at least 5 years ago.

Embedded systems I've seen do strange shenanigans with custom bootloaders
to get the kernel into RAM, no floppy involved.