Re: BitBucket: GPL-ed *notrademarkhere* clone

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 19:30:13 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 07:02:28PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
>>David Lang wrote:

>>>remember how Linus works, all normal patches get copied into a single
>>>large patch file as he reads his mail then he runs patch to apply them to
>>>the tree. I think this would make the entire batch of messages look like
>>>one cset.
>>

>>Not correct. His commits properly separate the patches out into
>>individual csets.
>

> and they're unusable as source to regenerate a tree. I had similar
> issues with the web too. to make use of the single csets you need to
> implement the internal bitkeeper branching knowledge too. Not to tell
> apparently the cset numbers changes all the time.

The "weave", or order of csets, certainly changes each time Linus does a
'bk pull'. I wonder if a 'cset_order' file would be useful -- an
automated job uses BK to export the weave for a specific point in time.
  One could use that to glue the csets together, perhaps?

WRT cset numbers, ignore them. Each cset has a unique key. When
setting up the 2.5 snapshot cron job, Linus asked me to export this key
so that the definitive top-of-tree may be identified, regardless of cset
number. Here is an example:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.5/snapshots/patch-2.5.63-bk6.key

        Jeff