Re: Linux v2.5.62 --- spontaneous reboots

From: walt (wa1ter@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 18:48:34 EST

Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> ...I'd suspect it was an Athlon or chipset problem if it weren't for the
> fact 2.4.x is stable for 8+ hours doing doing the same exact thing[1].

Unfortunately this is not proof :-( I can tell you from personal
experience that the BSD kernels are much more sensitive to overheating
hardware than linux is, for example -- so one linux kernel could just
as easily be more sensitive to overheating than another linux kernel.

I've never found out why this is, but I know it's true. When I try
to run a BSD kernel on a dust-covered motherboard I'll get random
crashes all over the place even though a linux kernel will run just
fine on the same machine. All I do is blow the dust off the motherboard
and both kernels run again without problem. Absolutely for sure.

I'd love to know what makes the difference.