[2.4.21-pre4] IDE hangs box after timeout

From: Simon Kirby (sim@netnation.com)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 17:14:43 EST

Hello,

I don't think this happened on older kernels (< 2.4.18ish), but it may
have happened on 2.4.20 (though I have other problems with 2.4.20 on this
box that makes testing more difficult -- it tends to Oops fairly often).

Anyway, this box has a massive collection of old (and new) drives to make
a large storage area, using MD linear. The box has two SCSI cards, two
promise cards (PDC20269), and onboard IDE (PIIX4). Because the box has
so many drives, I had to use a number of power splitters which are, of
course, cheap and thus unreliable, and occasionally a few drives will
fall off of the bus. This is the real problem, yes, but it seems to be
triggering a lockup bug in 2.4.21-pre4. When hda falls off the bus due
to power loss, I see this on the console:

hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
hda: timeout waiting for DMA
hda: timeout waiting for DMA
hda: (__ide_dma_test_irq) called while not waiting

...followed by a complete lockup where sysreq does not appear to work.

dmesg and config available here:

        http://blue.netnation.com/sim/ref/alfie.dmesg
        http://blue.netnation.com/sim/ref/alfie.config

( Yes, a new power supply is on order. :) )

Simon-

[ Simon Kirby ][ Network Operations ]
[ sim@netnation.com ][ NetNation Communications ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. ]