Re: [RFC] Change sendfile header

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 13:08:49 EST

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> You're rant is totally inappropinquate because:
>
> 1 - this is a glibc issue, applications should not include kernel
> headers

Since it's a system call I felt it was at least worth mentioning.

> 2 - there is no sendfile declaration in glibc's <unistd.h>

This is most odd, the system on which I discovered the problem most
definitely says in the man page that it's <unistd.h> Quite honestly it
didn't occur to me to check other systems... And sendfile is defined on
that system in unistd, and works.

> 3 - there _is_ a <sys/sendfile.h> for sendfile(64) in glibc

See above, I just converted an app to use sendfile, that's how this
discussion came up.

> 4 - solaris _does_ have a linux-compatible sendfile now

The only sendfile I found was in libucb and is BSD compatible, there is no
man page. The two Solaris machines are less than a year old, so I'm not
sure what release you mean by "now" and can't check before Monday, as I
have no Solaris machines here.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc