Re: Scaring the non-geeks (was Bootscreen)

From: Stefan Reinauer (stepan@suse.de)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 09:16:04 EST

* Balram Adlakha <b_adlakha@softhome.net> [030129 20:51]:
> Exactly...
> So now its justified that there SHOULD be such a thing, and it SHOULD be
> WITHING THE KERNEL SOURCES because so many people will be using it and
> we don't want so many patched kernels do we?
> So now that there SHOULD be sucha thing, why not create a few implimentations
> of it which actually work well and put them into the sources?
> People seem to like MacOS X don't they? With a nice bootscreen, and with the
> latest version of kde, won't linux be similiar/better than macOS to the
> "click click" type users?

There's one implementation that is used by UnitedLinux, Mandrake, SuSE,
(and Gentoo?), patches are available at
ftp.suse.com/pub/people/stepan/bootsplash/

Stefan

--
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offense.                      -- E. W. Dijkstra