failure of 3c556b and 2.4.21pre3 with attached files

From: Chuck Burns (zex0s@mchsi.com)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 15:11:16 EST

On Tue, January 28 2003 8:09 pm, you wrote:
> Chuck Burns <zex0s@mchsi.com> wrote:
> > Having recently upgraded my Mandrake 9.0 Laptop to the latest Mandrake
> > cooker (9.1beta) it uses the 2.4.21pre3 kernel. A problem has occured
> > somewhere between 2.4.19 and 2.4.21pre3, with regards to the 3c59x driver
> > module. It incorrectly returns the MAC address for my IBM Thinkpad a20m
> > with 3com integrated PCI 10/100M ethernet/Modem combo card. (the Nic is a
> > 3com 3c556b, which is supported under the 3c59x module) The 2.4.19
> > kernel module accurately reports the MAC address.
> >
> > The 2.4.21pre3 MAC address reported for my card is FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF,
> > which, obviously, is incorrect. I have never submitted a bug report
> > before, so I am not quite sure what all information you need.. there is
> > no error message associated with this
>
> Yup, seen a couple of these. It appears that the PCI and/or Cardbus code
> broke the 3com driver.
>
> Please send the full `dmesg' output so we can see the kernel boot messages
> and also the `lspci -vx -s' output for that device.
Attached are files with the output of:
/proc/cpuinfo
dmesg
lspcidrake -f -v (thats the closest thing to lspci I have.. the -f -v says do
a full probe, and be verbose.. if thats not enough info, I will try to find
sources versions of the lspcitools and compile them....)

--
Chuck Burns, Jr <zex0s@mchsi.com>