Re: kernel.org frontpage

From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 13:55:22 EST

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:36:55 EST, Chris Friesen said:

> Perhaps for the truly paranoid the signatures should be posted to this
> newsgroup and digitally signed by someone trusted.

It's called the PGP web of trust. There's already some 107 signatures on
the PGP key - who else would you want signing it? The point is that we've
already (presumably) proved via the web-of-trust that PGP key 517d0f0e is
in fact the proper key, and that for an intruder to post a valid signature
of a trojaned .tar.gz would require them to *ALSO* compromise the machine
that the signing is done on (hopefully a different machine than ftp.kernel.org).

Yes, an intruder could leave a forged signature with a random key easily. But
to leave a forged signature with the key that's already on my keyring is a
lot harder...

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer