Re: several messages

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 11:46:13 EST

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, David Woodhouse wrote:

> davidsen@tmr.com said:
> > `uname -r` is the kernel version of the running kernel. It is NOT by
> > magic the kernel version of the kernel you are building...
>
> Er, yes. And what's your point?
>
> There is _no_ magic that will find the kernel you want to build against
> today without any input from you. Using the build tree for the
> currently-running kernel, if installed in the standard place, is as good a
> default as any. Of course you should be permitted to override that default.

You make my point for me, there is no magic, and when building a module it
should require that the directory be specified by either a command line
option (as noted below) or by being built as part of a source tree. There
*is* no good default in that particular case.

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Hal Duston wrote:

> I use "INSTALL_MOD_PATH=put/the/modules/here/instead/of/lib/modules" in my
> .profile or whatever in order to drop the modules into another directory
> at "make modules_install" time. Is this one of the things folks are
> talking about?

Related for sure, the point I was making was that there is no good default
place to put modules built outside a kernel source tree (and probably also
when built for multiple kernels). I was suggesting that the module tree of
the running kernel might be a really poor choice. I don't think I was
clear in my first post, I was not suggesting a better default, I was
suggesting that any default is likely to bite.

I'm not unhappy that Mr. Woodhouse disagrees, I just think he missed my
point the first time and I'm trying to clarify.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc