Re: no version magic, tainting kernel.

From: Kai Germaschewski (kai@tp1.ruhr-uni-bochum.de)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 11:39:45 EST

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, David Woodhouse wrote:

> Er, I think O_TARGET is in fact the target _module_ name when building
> a file system as a module. Try removing O_TARGET from 2.4 fs/ext2/Makefile
> and building ext2 as a module.

Well, okay, there's two ways you can build a single module in a directory
in 2.4, one is to have

        O_TARGET := module.o
        obj-m := $(O_TARGET)

        obj-y := part1.o part2.o

The other is

        O_TARGET := something.o
        obj-m := module.o

        module-objs := part1.o part2.o

(plus a link rule for module.o)

In 2.5, only the second way is legal, so if you're aiming for a compatible
Makefile, you'd use that one, and then O_TARGET shouldn't matter for
"make modules".

--Kai