Re: [BK-2.5] Update arm implementation of DMA API to include GFP_

From: James Bottomley (James.Bottomley@SteelEye.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 10:41:51 EST

James.Bottomley@SteelEye.com said:
> Is this really safe? Maybe ARM needs to use GFP_ATOMIC all the time
> for a specific reason, such as where and how it maps the cpu side
> mappings of the memory?

According to Russell King, yes.

The PA-RISC one should also be correct. Actually, to be honest, there's a
longstanding issue in the pa-risc code where we can potentially allocate a
page table using GFP_KERNEL in pci_alloc_consistent() when we obtain the
mapping resources. I can argue that we never go down this path in practice,
but it does make GFP_ATOMIC allocations look unsafe on the platform.

James