Re: nforce2 and agpgart

From: Carl D. Blake (carl@boeckeler.com)
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 17:40:14 EST

On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 14:16, Bongani Hlope wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 20:50, Carl D. Blake wrote:
> > I'm having trouble getting agpgart support to work with an nforce2
> > chipset. Is this supported on any kernels? I'm running a Redhat 7.1
> > system with Redhat's 2.4.9-21 kernel.
>
> Try to use a newer kernel from Redhat, because that kernel was around
> looong before nforce was released. IIRC support for nforce2 was added
> around 2.4.19

I just upgraded to the 2.4.18 kernel provided by Redhat and it didn't
make any difference. The message I get in dmesg is:

Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: unsupported bridge
agpgart: no supported devices found.

You suggested trying 2.4.19, so I downloaded kernel 2.4.20 from
kernel.org and compared its agp code (drivers/char/agp) with the code in
2.4.18. There are a few differences - such as supporting AMD 8151 - but
nothing that indicates improved support for agpgart on the nforce2
chipset. The changelog for 2.4.20 indicated some added support for the
nforce2 chipset, but that seems to be support for the audio and network
portions of the chipset, not agp. I was able to incorporate the audio
changes manually for kernel 2.4.18 by using Nvidia's patches, but I
can't get agp to work.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

--
Carl D. Blake
Director of Engineering

Phone: 520-745-0001 FAX: 520-745-0004 email: carl@boeckeler.com