Re: [Benchmark] AIM9 results

From: Hans Reiser (reiser@namesys.com)
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 02:13:34 EST

Cliff White wrote:

>>> unlink(filename); /* of course */
>>>

>>Oh, commercial fs vendors must really love tuning for this benchmark....
>>sigh....
>>

>Ya, we think the AIM stuff is getting a little old. The basic idea is fine, but
>many of the tests do _very little work. We (OSDL) would like to re-do
>AIM9+7 and make it more useful. We'd love to have some input from everyone....
>For example, how big a file should we create for a real creat() test ?
>cliffw

Well, if you take a look at mongo.pl available at www.namesys.com we
provide you with a fractal file size generation program that you might
want to look at, that mongo uses during the creation portion of its
benchmark.

It makes 80% of the files less than some amount (100 bytes, or 1k, or
4k, depending on how mean you want to be to ext2;-) ), then 80% of the
remaining 20% less than 10 times that amount then....

There is more than one version of the file size generation code, so make
sure you got the one that works as I described above. I am looking for
a formula to smooth the above behavior into some sort of gentle curve
rather than sharp bands, but I haven't found it yet.

Hans