Re: [BENCHMARK] scheduler tunables with contest - starvation_limit

From: Robert Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Sun Dec 22 2002 - 21:52:35 EST

On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 20:40, Con Kolivas wrote:

> The current osdl hardware uses ext3 in the default journalling mode. Trying
> different filesystems is something I have had planned for a while. When I get
> the hardware sorted out as I need it to do this I will post some results
> where comparisons can be made.

One thing I have found in doing low-latency research is the impact of
ext3 over ext2. There is a periodic blip of high latency with ext3 not
seen in ext2. Presumably due to the journal writeback of ext3.

It was not huge but a measurable increase. This was on 2.4, so I am
curious how improved it is on 2.5.

        Robert Love