Re: Dedicated kernel bug database

From: John Bradford (john@grabjohn.com)
Date: Sun Dec 22 2002 - 04:16:27 EST

> > > Go ahead, knock yourself out. Come back when you're done.

> > Not sure what you mean. I do intend to start coding a new bug
> > database system today, and I'll announce it on the list when it's
> > ready. If nobody likes it, I wasted my time.

> What are your ideas???

* Automatic parsing of things like .config files and oopsen.

* Version tracking that is more suited to a codebase that has at least
  5 very active trees.

* Fully controlable by E-Mail, not only web.

Those are the ones I'm most interested in initially. Other things can
follow.

I'd had a lot of comments saying that it would be better to either add
these ideas to Bugzilla, or to write a generic bug database, and not
make it specific to kernel development.

The reasons I'm _not_ doing either of those is mostly:

* I don't like Bugzilla at all

* It's easy to make a kernel-specific bug database generic, and not so
  easy to make a generic database kernel-specific

Incidently, can your TV set top box browse the web, or just send
E-Mail? It would be quite cool if you could go through the bug
database using it :-)

John.