Re: 2.4.19, don't "hdparm -I /dev/hde" if hde is on a Asus A7V133 Promise ctrlr, or...

From: D.A.M. Revok (marvin@synapse.net)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 16:35:58 EST

Amendment to this email:
=====================
I figured out what it is, more...
hdparm -X12 ( to set PIO instead of UDMA ) /does not/ fix it, so I dug
into BIOS and re-enabled the bios for that controller...

I'd disabled it because I've a SCSI burner that I use for backup
( DAR Disk ARchiver @ http://dar.linux.free.fr/ -- excellent program ),
as well as for installing distros, and I could not boot from the CD drive
if the mobo was waiting for an OS to magically appear on whatever ATA
device I had on the Promise-controller. The BIOS is written to prevent
one from choosing SCSI-boot and not Promise-boot while the Promise-BIOS
is enabled, so I'd disabled it.
... when I re-enabled the Promise-BIOS, the problem disappeared.

So. I /think/ that somehow the Promise controller isn't being
initialized properly by the Linux kernel, UNLESS the mobo's BIOS inits
it first?

============================
============================

Ah,
"What you are doing is not out of spec, just how
  you are are doing it is."
eh??

my typing in
hdparm -l /dev/hde ( upper-case Capital i ), or
smartctl -a, or
cat /proc/ide/hde/identify
are doing things wrong?
or do you mean that
 the method-used-by-these-commands is wrong somehow?

IF it'll get this fixed for everyone, then I'll sign an NDA ( probably:
I'm reading it first, and discussing the NDA itself, too ), but I don't
understand how NDA and GPL driver can mix?

I /want/ this fixed, because it's a problem, if for me, then for others
too...

Does my having the "bios" for that controller turned off create the
problem? ( I don't boot from those drives, so didn't see any reason to
have it... )
... hmmm I'll try changing that before contacting you again

One other weird thing is that when I've got my Quantum LM15 on the
Promise, I've /got/ to have it on a 40-wire ribbon, or it doesn't work
right ( can't remember if it fails to boot, or if the drive isn't
accessable, or what )...
electronically the drive identifies as UDMA 4 or 5 or something, but if I
put a UDMA cable on it it don't work ( solution? have a 40-wire cable on
it, unless I've got it on the Via chipset port, in which case UDMA's
fine... )

If you come-up-with, or have, a diagnostic that'd black-box
reverse-engineer the bug, tell me, and I'll run it.

( note that now I'm using DAR
http://dar.linux.free.fr/
for backup, so I'm a /lot/ less worried than I used to be about hosing my
system: the "backup your system" advice parroted always doesn't come
with a good utility for doing so, but with DAR it's only 16 CD-Rs for
the crucial stuff : ) - just figured it's so good you'd benefit from
knowing about it... )