Re: Intel P6 vs P7 system call performance

From: Ross Biro (rossb@google.com)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 14:09:03 EST

It doesn't make sense to me to use a specially formatted page forced
into user space to tell libraries how to do system calls. Perhaps each
executable personality in the kernel should export a special shared
library in it's own native format that contains the necessary
information. That way we don't have to worry as much about code or
values changing sizes or locations.

We would have the chicken/egg problem with how the special shared
library gets loaded in the first place. For that we either support a
legacy syscall method (i.e. int 0x80 on x86) which should only be used
by ld.so or the equivalent or magically force the library into user
space at a known address.

    Ross