Re: Multithreaded coredump patch where?

From: Arjan van de Ven (arjanv@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 07:08:16 EST

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 12:05, Roberto Fichera wrote:
> At 13.21 16/12/02 -0800, mgross wrote:
>
> >I haven't rebased the patches I posted back in June for a while now.
> >
> >Attached is the patch I posted for the 2.4.18 vanilla kernel. Its a bit
> >controversial, but it seems to work for a number of folks. Let me know if
> >you have any troubles re-basing it.
>
> Only one hunk failed on include/asm-ia64/elf.h but fixed by hand.
> Why do you say a bit controversial ?
The design has theoretical (but probably in practice not trivial to
trigger) deadlocks; by design it prevents processes that are sleeping
from running, regardless whether those processes are in kernel space or
not. If they are in kernel space, they can accidentally be holding a
semaphore that something in the core dumping path will need to get (