Re: 2.5.47bk2 + current modutils == broken hotplug

From: Rusty Russell (rusty@rustcorp.com.au)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 22:46:51 EST

In message <3DD2B1D5.7020903@pacbell.net> you write:
> The module-init-tools-0.6.tar.gz utilities (or something
> related -- kbuild changes?) break hotplug since they no
> longer produce the /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.*map
> files as output ... so the hotplug agents don't have the
> pre-built database mapping device info to drivers.

Sorry, I've been feeding Linus (and lkml) slowly. It's not permenant,
I promise 8) I discussed the issue with Greg Kroah-Hartman and have
sent him a patch for examination. In the new method, external code
doesn't know about kernel datastructures.

> What's the plan for getting that back? (And module.conf
> params etc.)

The question is whether to force an /sbin/hotplug change to use the
module alias mechanism, or generate the modules.*map files at "make
modules_install" time to avoid breakage. I'm leaning towards #2, but
I haven't written it yet (should be simple).

0.7 has preliminary /etc/modprobe.conf support, but it only does
primitive aliases not options as yet. That's next on my list for
userspace, along with "modprobe -r".

> "Changes" says version 2.4.2 is fine, which appears to be wrong...

Thanks for the feedback,
Rusty.