Re: Patch: 2.5.45 PCI Fixups for PCI HotPlug

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 15:44:35 EST

Adam J. Richter wrote:

> Jeff Garzik recently said that he doesn't want to incorporate
>hot plugging for arbitrary standard PCI cards until he hears about a
>hotplug configuration that uses that card (I'm cc'ing Jeff so he can
>correct me if I misunderstand). That would put the kernel at level 1
>in the above list.

No, I was talking more specifically about de2104x driver.

For general drivers I prefer __devinit out of general laziness: if
there is not an active and kernel-clueful maintainer, then it's better
to mark everything __devinit [with the wastage it implies]. But for a
few drivers with obviously provable/disprovable cases, __init may be better.

So it IMO matters WRT maintainer and testability issues as well as
strictly kernel/technical issues.

    Jeff