Patch/resubmit: 2.5.45 - eliminate pci_dev.driver_data

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 08:38:06 EST

Hi Martin,

        The following patch eliminates pci_dev.driver_data, in favor
of the field provided for this purpose in the generic struct device
(pci_dev.dev.driver_data). This shinks pci_dev by four bytes and
eliminates a line from pci.h.

        What gives this patch importance to me is that I am about to
submit a patch for the generic driver layer to do simple
pre-allocation of device.driver_data for drivers that request it
(current code will be unaffected). This will enable elimination of of
some memory allocation/deallocation pairs and associated error legs in
many drivers.

        I submitted this patch to you during 2.5.44 and mentioned that
there were a few driver files that still directly referenced
pci_dev.driver_data and that I had submitted patches to fix them to
use pci_[gs]et_drvdata. Those patches got into 2.5.45, so integrating
this patch at this point should not break any drivers.

        I have been running this change in 2.5.44 and 2.5.45 without
problems.

        Also, I would appreciate it if you would acknowledge this
email. Thanks in advance.

--
Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   575 Oroville Road
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  Milpitas, California 95035