Re: What's left over.

From: Karim Yaghmour (karim@opersys.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 17:42:56 EST

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> But for a general solution, it seems more appropriate to me to solve
> the problem of moving the kernel data from the damaged system to an
> intact system only once, e.g. using the MCORE approach, than over
> and over again for all possible types of hardware and attachment
> methods.

This is just a random tangential thought here, but FWIW:

Why not just have a simple backup stripped-down "hardened" copy of Linux
lying around in a physical RAM region not used by the copy of Linux
actually running. Granted the running Linux doesn't do random physical
accesses when dying, the crash handler could then just boot that
secondary Linux which would then have a RAM disk containing the
appropriate scripts and binaries to handle the actual crash. Given the
cost of RAM these days, reserving a MB or two for this purpose should
probably not be that bad.

Karim