Re: What's left over.

From: Shane R. Stixrud (shane@stixrud.org)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 13:23:01 EST

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> I'm sorry it _is_ a public service. Once tens of people started
> contributing to it, it became one. This is like saying that the
> Washington Monument belongs to the peole that maintain it, any building
> belongs to the repair crews and janitors. I'm not saying that Linus is
> necessarily a janitor, but when you consider how much of the Linux kernel
> that he didn't write, you may relize that it's not just his kernel. It
> also belongs to every single person that has written even a single
> line of code in it.

The logic you seem to be missing is, the Washington Monument is a
physical object. Linus's source tree is a collection of "copied" parts
from other peoples source trees. You obviously see his source copy
as special, more so then say my copy. This is true _ONLY_ because
Linus's copy commands more respect then yours or mine.
If you think about it, the respect Linus's copy has is _PURELY_
the result of his past _choices_ over how he maintains it.

In effect you are saying:

Patrick: "Everyone trusts your source tree, I think LKCD
is SUPER DUPER important and should get the exposure and trust
that being in your tree commands."

Linus: "I think LKCD is a bad idea, until I am convinced otherwise I
will not merge it."

Patrick: "You are wrong, LKCD should be in your copy of the kernel source.
It is your Job Linus, to add things to _your_ copy which others find
important, what you think is secondary."

You cannot have it both ways, either Linus's tree is a dumping
grounds for all ideas (both good and bad) or it is a place for good
ideas (good defined by Linus) where people who trust Linus's judgment can
work from.

In truth you can have it both ways. Take Linus's existing copy, add the
features you think are important. If your choices prove to be superior.
you can expect that people (over time) will begin to trust/respect your
copy more then Linus's.

--
Shane R. Stixrud        "Nothing would please me more than being able to
shane@stixrud.org       hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

We are still waiting ....