Re: aic7xxx and error recovery

From: Nicholas Berry (nikberry@med.umich.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 12:00:36 EST

At the time I read your original post, I was investigating why one drive kept being kicked out of an md array.

This is on two systems, 2.4.20-pre11 and 2.4.20-rc1, and both using a symc53c875 with 36gb IBM drives.

Turns out it's recovered errors, just like you see.

So it seems to be wider than aic7xxx. I've just rebuilt both arrays with PER 0, and they're working fine.

Another array on 2.4.19-pre7 & aic7xxx works fine with PER 1

Nik

Giuliano Pochini wrote:

> [...] It happens that when a recoverable error occurs (as
> reported in the sys logs) read()(2) returns a value smaller then
> requested, and the loaded data is identical to the pattern, or
> read() completes, but the data is wrong.

Ehm, I made a stupid typo in my test program. read() does dot
succeed in the second case. Anyway the problem is still here:
why does it fail on recovered errors ?

Bye.