Re: Xiafs inclusion in 2.5?

From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger (c-d.hailfinger.kernel.2002-Q4@gmx.net)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 18:17:57 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> > Hello Linus,
> >
> > somewhere back in 2000, you [Linus Torvalds] wrote:
> > > Who still remembers xiafs? We have 33 different filesystems in
> > > the kernel tree - something that is quite impressive, and something
> > > that I don't think anybody else has ever tried to support.
> > > But we could have had 34.
> >
> > Out of curiosity, would you reaccept xiafs in 2.5, if it was cleaned
> > up and forward ported to use the new interfaces?
> > And if you accept it, what's the latest date I could submit it?
> > Technically, it is a regression, ;-) so the feature freeze date
> > might not apply.
> >

> Not to be flippant, but really... what's the point?

There are several:
- Trying to fulfill what I percieve to be a wish of Linus which nobody
   has cared for
- Being able to recover *very* old data without having to dig out a
   compiler+computer suitable for 2.0 kernels
- Linux is supposed to be fun (The point which matters)

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

P.S. Please CC me because my subscription to lkml seems to be hosed.