Re: PROBLEM: ide-related kernel panic in 2.4.19 and 2.4.20-pre11

From: Thomas Dodd (ted@cypress.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 17:00:36 EST

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Andre Hedrick wrote:
>

>>So could you ask the question a little more blunt?
>>
>>"Gee, I am trying to break a US Law on content protection, would you be my
>>enabler? Don't worry, it only effects the US, and we are in a public
>>forum. Also, do you prefer gray or black in your future pin stripped
>>suit?"
>

> Unless the rules have changed VERY recently, making a copy of legally
> owned music for personal use, such as in the car, MP3 player, etc, is
> called "fair use" and is totally legal.

Actually the rules did change. read the DMCA. It's illegal to
break the security, regardless of the reason. So you have fair
use rights, but cannot take atvantage of them.

Same as the DVD and Ebook cases. Breaking the protection is
illegal. Eventually this will hit the courts, but it will take
several tries to win on fair use grounds.

        -Thomas