Re: Ext3 journalling file system

From: Nuno Monteiro (nuno@itsari.org)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 09:22:14 EST

On 31.10.02 13:09 Luis Miguel Tavora wrote:

> [1.] Ext3 jornalling file system
>
> [2.] The system pt-get to update RH 7.3, on a
> Compaq M700 Laptop the system is turned into a
> highly critical stage: impossible to lauch
> applications, no disk access and the machine doesn't
> reboot with the shutdown command (but the CPU &
> clock keep working ok, I think...)

Hi Luis,

Please pipe the oops messages through ksymoops (check
linux/Documentation/oops-tracing.txt on how to do so), as they're really
not useful as is. Also, you may want to check 2.4.20-rc1, quite a few ext3
fixes went in during the .20-pre series. I seem to remember some bugs in
transaction.c:226 during 2.4.18/.19-pre...

Also, it would help a great deal if you could reproduce the crash without
any proprietary modules ever being loaded -- your kernel was marked as
"tainted", although all modules from the list you provide below should be
ok (GPL or Dual BSD/GPL). Did you have any nVidia binary only drivers
loaded at the the time of the crash?

Cheers,

                Nuno