Re: PROBLEM REPORT 2.4.20-rc1: sundance.c

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 16:04:10 EST

Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I'd like to point out that (at least) the network driver sundance.c has weird
>flaws when trying to use more than MAX_UNITS (8) cards at the same time. Since

Smileys nonwithstanding, you need to include far more information

Please define "weird flaws"... explicitly.

>this driver can be used for DFE-580TX 4 port network card it is really easy to
>get more than 8 ports :-)
>In fact the driver does check against MAX_UNITS, but does _not_ fail if you go
>through the roof. Instead you can expect really interesting ifconfig-outputs
>;-)
>IMHO it should check and fail. I wonder what other card drivers do in such a
>case ...

Other card drivers handle this case just fine. The expected behavior is
that module options will only support up to MAX_UNITS of certain
arguments, but beyond that nothing is affected at all.

    Jeff