Re: Flawed Ziff Davis eWeek 2.6 kernel article

From: Dr. Greg Wettstein (greg@wind.enjellic.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 12:15:11 EST

On Oct 30, 11:52pm, Dax Kelson wrote:
} Subject: Flawed Ziff Davis eWeek 2.6 kernel article

> My favorite part:
>
> In addition, Linux is still too dependent on local user
> lists. Universal LDAP support and systemwide LDAP integration, not
> scheduled for 2.6, need to be built in. On the server, this isn't a
> big deal, but deploying desktops without comprehensive support for a
> global user directory can be a nightmare.

To be sure this doesn't belong in the kernel as it is a userspace issue.

That being said the issue is fundamentally and profoundly important to
the future of Linux penetrating the enterprise, from both the server
and the desktop perspective. I started talking about this around 3-4
years ago but unfortunately even the major Linux vendors don't seem to
understand the ramifications of all this.

I have learned from reasonably harsh experience that the future of the
enterprise involves the ability to control access through the desktop.
The infrastructure needed to support this on an enterprise scale is
significant and in most cases core to the entire IT strategy of the
organization. In the future anything that does not play within the
constraints and confines of the chosen user/identity management
environment simply isn't going to see the light of day in most
organizations.

So while the issue is not technically correct from the kernel
perspective it is an important issue. One that, unfortunately, does
not seem to be well understood by many.

Greg

}-- End of excerpt from Dax Kelson

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein, Ph.D. Enjellic Systems Development, LLC.
4206 N. 19th Ave. Specializing in information infra-structure
Fargo, ND 58102 development.
PH: 701-281-4950
FAX: 701-281-3949 EMAIL: greg@enjellic.com