Re: What's left over.

From: Stephen Wille Padnos (stephen.willepadnos@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 11:24:17 EST

Alexander Viro wrote:

>On 31 Oct 2002, Dax Kelson wrote:
>
>>I think the normal intent is to let Sally, Joe, and Bill have their own
>>private directory protected from THE REST OF THE USERS.
>>
>>If a member of your trusted circle goes rogue, then, yup you are screwed
>>for the moment. It shouldn't last a whole month though.
>>
>>That is what backups, and employment termination is for.
>>

>Then give them all the same account and be done with that. Effect will
>be the same.

Unless I'm missing something, that only works if all the users need
*exactly* the same permissions to all files, which isn't a good assumption.

Example: Sally is an accountant, Joe and Bill are engineers.

Bill and Joe are working on a project, and Sally is cost control for
that project - they all need access to the project files. Bill and Joe
do not need access to officer salary data, but Sally does. Bill and Joe
need access to other projects (not necessarily the same ones), but Sally
doesn't. Oops.

- Steve