Re: post-halloween 0.2

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 06:48:45 EST

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 00:47, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 07:33:01PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > (Things not expected to work just yet)
> > > - The hptraid/promise RAID drivers are currently non functional.
> > [These hopefully can be converted to use device mapper..]
>
> Thats a fairly large 'mandatory' requirement for existing users
> of hptraid and friends.

Whether its a userspace thing or DM is simply told by the hptraid driver
to do the work for it is an open question yes

> > > (Note that the OSS drivers are also still functional, and
> > > still present)
> > Kind of work in some cases, they are deprecated and may vanish before
> > 2.6 or may vanish the release after.
>
> I'd agree that it would make sense to at least remove some of the
> lesser maintained drivers. Linus didnt seem to keen on the idea
> last time I proposed it.

OSS hasnt worked on SMP between about 2.5.35 and 2.5.44 so I dont think
its that major 8)

> BTW: How's i2o shaping up in 2.5 ?

It compiles I've got to put stuff together to do the full test runs on
it yet. The code is actually a lot cleaner with the new block layer,
much more scalable and also Al Viro took a hatchet to bits of it when
tidying the block layer so the disk add/remove and other stuff has also
improved dramatically. The fast path for I/O now executes a mere four
instructions within the driver under a spinlock on i2o_block 8)

Mostly I'm working on the NCR5380 first. That happens to be attached to
my scanner so spinning for 15 seconds in IRQ context is annoying me 8)