Re: Abbott and Costello meet Crunch Time -- Penultimate 2.5 merge candidate list.

From: Erik Andersen (andersen@codepoet.org)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 04:36:44 EST

On Wed Oct 30, 2002 at 04:06:00AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Miles Bader wrote:
> >[Well, OK, actually it'd be nice to have something like initramfs + some
> >other sort of fetch-the-bits-directly-from-ROM FS which I could
> >mix-n-match; anyway initramfs has got to be better than initrd...]
> >

> It should be pretty easy to populate initramfs from ROM...

I imagine so. But that still leaves everything in RAM. On a
system with just 1 or 2 MB of ram (I have run Linux on such
things :-) there really isn't much point in trying to use any
sortof ramfs. Its just not going to work. For that type of
application you really want something like JFFS, JFFS2 and
whatnot living in ROM/flash. But I'm sure someone could find
a reason for a *ramfs to be useful, even then.... :)

 -Erik