Re: 2.5 merge candidate list, final version. (End of "crunch time" series.)

From: Hans Reiser (reiser@namesys.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 03:19:12 EST

We are going to submit a patch appropriate for inclusion as an
experimental FS on Halloween. I hope you will forgive our pushing the
limit timewise, it is not by choice, but the algorithms we used to more
than double reiserfs V3 performance were, quite frankly, hard to code.

A description of it can be found at www.namesys.com/v4/fast_reiser4.html.

I am going to ask persons to volunteer to produce independent
benchmarks. I am told by Oleg and Zam that it is now faster than in the
benchmarks in the above draft paper, and I hope to see this verified by
persons outside Namesys.

I hope you will also find our atomic transactions infrastructure
interesting. It allows us to guarantee each system call to reiserfs is
fully atomic, and in later versions we hope to use it to make atomicity
available to user space so that multiple fs operations can be guaranteed
atomic. This will hopefully help to eliminate a major class of security
holes, as well as provide significantly better protection against user
data corruption by crashes than any current filesystem. As you can see,
it does not seem to substantially harm performance, or at least we
assume that our more than doubling performance means that performance
was not harmed.;-)

Finally, and I think in the longterm most importantly, we have
implemented a full plugin infrastructure for reiser4. This will make it
possible for us to implement database and search engine functionality
one plugin at a time. (See www.namesys.com/whitepaper.html for a
description of those semantics.) We hope you will find the semantics
much more fun than tacking SQL onto the FS like OFS is going to do.;-)

We don't know how fast OFS will be, but we hope you will enjoy watching
us raise the bar a few feet. We are very excited by more than doubling
performance. The read performance improvements are more than I expected.

(If any of you attempt to replicate the benchmarks, please be sure to
use reiser4 readdir order for writes to reiser4 (that means don't use
tarballs made from ext2), and to use the latest hard drives and fast
processors with udma 5 turned on. We are quite sensitive to transfer
speed since we do a good job of avoiding seeks. We are sensitive to
readdir order because we sort directory entries (which is necessary for
having efficient large directory lookups)). In reiser4.1 we will ship
a repacker, and then it won't matter what order you do writes in so long
as the repacker gets a chance to run at night.

Cheers,

Hans

Hans