Re: OT: DVD-* owners be warned . Please see inside .

From: Stefan Smietanowski (stesmi@stesmi.com)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 17:13:02 EST

Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> Hello All ,
>
> Here we go . Two differant hardware types to prevent users from
> making private backups of items that they have purchased . I hope
> that somewhere in the community there is a methodology to
> circumvent this stupidity .
>
> Below is a snippet from the URL below this :
>
> Why are there two formats? The key reason for the introduction of
> DVD-R for General media is that it contains content protection
> measures that make it physically impossible to make a bit-for-bit
> copies of CSS encrypted entertainment titles.
>
> http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/Files/DVDRMedia-GeneralvsAuthoring.pdf

Thought I'd point out that this is old news. Very old in fact.

This was set when the DVD-R standard was put in place ...

Or actually, shortly thereafter.

At first there was only one standard, DVD-R. Now there are two at
different wavelengths, DVD For General (cannot copy css encrypted
things) and DVD-R For Authoring which can but those discs cost a lot
more. DVD-R was renamed DVD-R For Authoring.

// Stefan