Re: 2.5.44-mm6

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 12:28:00 EST

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Rik van Riel wrote:
> > > Just let me know if you're interested in my load control mechanism
> > > and I'll send it to you.
> > It would also be interesting to know if we really care?
>
> I think there is a need for keeping an overloaded machine in some way
> usable, not because anyone is really running it that way, but because
> the sysadmin needs a way to determine why a correctly sized machine is
> suddenly seeing a high load.

Indeed, it's a stability thing, not a performance thing.

It's Not Good(tm) to have a system completely crap out because
of a load spike. Instead it should survive the load spike and
go on with life.

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/		http://distro.conectiva.com/
Current spamtrap:  <a href=mailto:"october@surriel.com">october@surriel.com</a>