Some Question about tty

From: Jim Zeus (jimzeus@edguy.nu)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 04:45:25 EST

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) HI,folks

I am reading the source code about tty(tty_io.c,n_tty.c,tty_ioctl.c etc)to implement some virtual tty which link to the UART through complex protocol .

My problem:
I know /dev/tty is the current terminal,
and /dev/ttySX is serial port,
but what is /dev/tty0,/dev/ttyX,/dev/console,/dev/cuaX,/dev/cuaX?
I got confused with these.

what is /dev/ptmx?what is ptm/pts? what is the device which's major device number is 128-135 and 136-143,what is the relationship among them?

I am sorry about my poor Englist and maybe foolish question,but I really need help.

TIA

BTW:can somebody show me any link to Mailing list/News group/Forum which about tty?

Edguy's Official Website - http://www.edguy.nu