Re: NUMA scheduler (was: 2.5 merge candidate list 1.5)

From: Martin J. Bligh (mbligh@aracnet.com)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 12:35:37 EST

> I'm puzzled about the initial load balancing impact and have to think
> about the results I've seen from you so far... In the environments I am
> used to, the frequency of exec syscalls is rather low, therefore I didn't
> care too much about the sched_balance_exec performance and prefered to
> try harder to achieve good distribution across the nodes.

OK, but take a look at Michael's second patch. It still looks at
nr_running on every queue in the system (with some slightly strange
code to make a rotating choice on nodes on the case of equality),
so should still be able to make the best decision .... *but* it
seems to be much cheaper to execute. Not sure why at this point,
given the last results I sent you last night ;-)

M.